Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Where Did All My Free Time Go?

I don't think I really realized how much Free Time I've had. It's like that with most things in life, isn't it? You don't really appreciate what you've got until it's gone.

In case you ever think of returning to College after more than a Decade's Hiatus, I can now tell you that, while I encourage the endeavor, I would recommend you start on a different term than the Summer one. Here I thought I could "ease" back into school, nice-n-easy, by taking a "low-pressure" summer class. I also thought it would be a "good idea" to take a class that I wasn't really fond of, to "get it out of the way". What was I thinking?!?!

What I've now learned is that I'm spending ALL of my time - not just my "free" time - ALL of my time with my nose in a book or my eyes blurring over a computer screen. Cramming a whole semester's work into eight weeks. Those same eight weeks, which happen to be the only "nice" weather here in Wyoming. So, instead of enjoying the beautiful days, I'm reading and studying and going bleary-eyed. I now question the sanity of my decision to start back to school during a Summer Term as a way of "easing" into it.

Since I want to enjoy the summer, I've now started getting up at 5:00 am again.

Okay.

You caught me.

Not really on the getting up at 5:00 am.

Yesterday was the first day the radio turned on at 5. I got up at 5:45 and
literally dragged myself to the gym. Today I woke at 5:45, but instead of studying, I cuddled with Jack and baked bread. Give me a couple more days to get my body use to the early rising again and I'll start doing the following:
Monday - 5-7am - Study
Tuesday - 5-7am - Gym; 9-noon - Study on Campus (with boys in Children's Center)
Wednesday - 5-7am - Study
Thursday - 5-7am - Gym; 9-noon - Study on Campus (with boys in Children's Center)
Friday - 5-7am - Yoga at Gym; 10:00-11:30 - Playgroup
Weekends - Hike, Fish, Camp with Family
So. That's my plan and my goal, hopefully, by next week I'll be fully implementing it, so that with ten dedicated hours of study time I can enjoy the days, nights, and weekends with my family.

3 comments:

M.E. Greene said...

Good luck! I know it's a lot of work. Scott has two classes this summer that are pre-req's for the nursing program that he's starting in the fall. It's definitely an all-consuming thing, and summer is far worse than the normal fall/spring semesters. Hang in there! It will be over before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it what was I thinking Microbiology and government and kids going everywhere to every activity, good thing I can multitask well, except for I haven't done any of my taggie yet! Boo, Dulce really wants to do it! Wyogirl1

trisha too said...

wow, i am very impressed!

my friend just graduated, and another is going to begin working on her doctorate, so hang in there, you can do it!!

:)
(once through was enough for me, but it would be great to take some art classes for fun!)