Thursday, September 09, 2010

A Bit More About My Ear

I'm a bit surprised that it's already been over a year since I last wrote about needing to have an ear surgery to restore some hearing. Certainly a lot has happened during the intervening time, but, well, they do say "time does fly!"

On July 10th, I went to bed with my ear hurting, I put some drops in and told Tom "we're going to need to get this things fixed soon." Then, at 2:30 am I woke rubbing my ear in my sleep... vigorously with the palm of my hand. This action caused the dislocated titanium prosthetic incus to rupture the tympanic membrane. That is, a small piece of metal is now sticking through my ear drum. This does a few things: causes pain, significantly reduces hearing, and continues to damage the ear drum.

Owing to moving and needing to find new doctors, and already having a visit to my ear doctor planned the first week of August, I went to Phoenix to meet with him and have my suspicions of the course of events and the course of action confirmed. While I trust my doctor greatly, he did recommend a colleague in the Albuequerque area. Thing is, I can have surgery (in Phoenix) September 16th... I couldn't even see the new doctor until the beginning of October and surgery would have been towards Thanksgiving. Did I mention that this thing hurts?

So, I've decided and made arrangements to travel to Phoenix to have the surgery, then to stay with my Father-In-Law for the ten days post-op until my follow-up visit.

The bad news in all of this is that each surgery I have (this will be the third) increases scar tissue, there is a decreased blood flow to the area, and oh-yeah, a decreased chance of success. I've begun to wonder when I might bite the bullet and tell them to stop trying to fix the hearing and just leave the wire out... thus guaranteeing deafness in that ear. It's sobering, but as my Grandad said, "as long as you have hope, you keep trying."

So, this week I've been making preparations to go for another Phoenix trip, this one involving a lot of rest and light-lifting (nothing over ten pounds for a month), so the boys will need to be able to load and unload the van for us.

The surgery is on Thursday, September 16th; wish me luck!


the SARAH in Sara vs. Sarah said...

Dr. Fucci again? If anyone can do it, it's him.

the SARAH in Sara vs. Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SuzyQSparkles said...

But of course! Though he did highly recommend Dr Karl Horn here in Albuquerque... I'll probably being seeing him down the road. It IS nice to have a local doctor, but I do trust my Arizona doctors so much!

Tonia said...

Best of luck! I hope it all works out okay!