Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Better Luck at Dinner Time

The past two nights I have done two things that have made dinner time much more enjoyable! I thought I would share them (in their simplicity).

  1. I’ve made VERY simple dinners (read chicken nuggets with Kraft Mac & Cheese and Campbell’s Soup with Cheese Sandwiches plus salads on both nights).
  2. I’ve involved the boys with preparations. Usually, they are clinging on my legs (literally) or trying to get me to “do” something with them.

The other day I talked with Frank (50 months) about giving him a “special new thing” to do each night for dinner – where he gets to make us a salad and he can choose what he puts with the lettuce. I mentioned how when we go to a salad bar there are so many choices and that he can pretty much do whatever he wants, but we get to choose our own dressing to go on it. While Frank’s working on the salad, Jack (22 months) sets the table. Normally, Frank would do the table so quick that Jack hardly had a chance, so having Frank occupied with something else gives Jack a chance to do it himself.

It’s been amazing how much more peaceful getting ready for dinner has been, but also how we have something to thank the boys for and talk about what they’ve done. I also know this is good – giving them assignments and chores and responsibilities. I figure we’ll get back to “real” dinners too, but simple is good to start.

One other thing – I’m delighted to start having salads again. I’m always so busy shaking the boys off my legs, that I don’t take time to make salads. Also, I envision letting Frank shop each week in the produce department for a “new” item to put in "His" salads. I know we won’t like everything, but I hope we’ll all learn to eat a little more and different produce in the process.

Anyway, I thought I’d share.

Suzy :)

No comments: