Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Creative Juices

I just spent three hours hanging out in my sewing room. I think it's been a good month (probably longer) since I did that. Just went in and played. It was great! So relaxing!

While working away on an old sheet, turned Renaissance / Pirate Shirt, I was thinking about how I believe we each need to let our creative juices flow. Actually, I feel better in general when I give myself regular time to play (at least each week, preferably each day).

What I am curious about is how you let your juices flow? Do you write, paint, sew, stitch, mold, sculpt? Are you musical or mechanical? Do you tend a garden or cook or bake? What do you do that just feels second nature to you? Do you have one thing more than others that truly relaxes you?

Personally, I do many of these things, but feeling cloth in my hands and hearing the hum of a sewing machine is by far the most therapeutic thing I can do for myself... and it has been for many, many years. What about you?

3 comments:

Celise said...

With me, the creative juices are ALWAYS flowing. That's my problem. Too many ideas, too tempted to drop one and start on the other.

marie*jolie said...

Really any creative projects works for me, and I go in seasons where sometimes I am immersed in quilting, or knitting, or cooking... and whatever it is, if I let myself disappear into the project I come out really refreshed. :)

Judye54 said...

I can disappear into projects and loose all sense of time and place. But when I have a creative block I will put aside some time to putter around with my supplies, clean up, reorganize, or just look through things I have. I reaquaint myself with the basics of what I use to be creative and I always end making something rather than getting trough with the clean up. Maybe that is why artists are so messy with thier supplies.

Mom