Chicken & Dumplings
Tom & Suzy, June 2004
Tired of super salty, quick-prep chicken and dumplings, my hubby and I set out to create a simple homemade version. In 2004 we came up with this, and we've been making it (to rave reviews from guests) ever since! Straight forward and simple, the trickiest part is remembering to put the flour and milk in AND remove the Bay Leaf. We hope you enjoy this "comfort food" as much as we do!
1.5 lbs chicken, boneless skinless breasts, cut into one-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons oil
3 cups vegetable broth (or water)
2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper, freshly cracked
1 bay leaf
½ onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, sliced
5 carrots, sliced
if desired, fresh chopped broccoli
if desired, fresh snipped parsley (3 Tablespoons)
if desired, frozen / fresh corn
1/3 cup flour
½ cup milk
1 package Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven (or a nice big pt that you have a lid for) on medium high heat, add cubed chicken and garlic. Stir; cooking until chicken is white.
2. Add broth, bouillon, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and fresh vegetables to create a stew. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat on stew; simmer on low, covered, 30 minutes, or until chicken and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf from broth.
4. While stew simmers, open biscuits and set out on a plate (to rise) or make your own biscuits.
5. In separate container, mix flour and milk. After 30 minutes of simmering, whisk flour and milk into broth on stove. Stir well.
6. Add biscuits to top of stew. Cover and continue cooking on low heat 15 minutes.
7. Let stand a few minutes before serving.
1. Make homemade or Biquick biscuits instead of canned.
Generously serves four.
As ever, I'd love to know if you make this and how you like it! :D