Monday, October 20, 2008

Knitting - Sassy Stripes Sock for Suzy

I JUST finished the FIRST sock of my first pair of knitted socks!

{Yeah Me!}

I'm making them for myself. I started this last November. Yes. It's slow going. But. Now that I've finished this, and done much more knitting in the process, and have some
wonderful, delicious new yarns (from my trip to California) I'm far more motivated to finish the second sock and get working on other projects.

I'm delighted with what I've accomplished so far...


This is a little taller than my "usual" socks... but actually, I should say than my "Arizona" socks, because last winter I discovered that I needed taller "boot" socks for my riding and snow boots. So, I made this sock the same height as the boot socks I started wearing for Wyoming.

This uses Moda Dea Sassy Stripes Yarn, colors 6946 Crush (red/pink variegated) and 6930 Stormy (gray/white toe). It uses the Knitted Socks pattern LM0131 by Grace Alexander, with a few modifications of my own (at the cuff and the heel).

When I started this sock, I'd only "successfully" worked one scarf... and two other "flop" projects. This knitting thing for me has been self-taught, primarily using KnittingHelp.com and occasionally stopping in the local knitting shop when I have a question I can't figure out on my own.

If I can do this, so can you!

Although, I've discovered (from talking with other knitters) that it is best to learn to Crochet (something else I taught myself (before the web, so from a book)) first, and then pick up knitting second. Something about the flow of them, if you learn knitting first, crocheting is near impossible to do.

Any yarn-crafters out there want to second this?

Which skill did you learn first?

How did you learn to do it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LUV IT JUST LUV IT

Mom