In the meantime, a quick observation of self. Today was awful! Last week I had a terrible day too... upon reflection, I realized it was ALSO Wednesday. Since moving to Rock Springs, Wednesday has become Washday... as in LAUNDRY. Sort, pack, haul downstairs, load in van, go to Laundromat, spend three hours on my feet, lug it all home, and MAYBE get it put away that same day. Like six to eight loads usually. I HATE IT!
What I've just realized is that I grumble so much over it and become so tired by it, that I'm now getting grumpy BEFORE I go through the motions and get tired. I've been having hideous times with my boys and today I realized that it's all my fault.
I need something new. I need something different. I need a new and different approach to this laundry business.
My apartment is small and cramped as it is, but I have seen neighbors with portable rental washing machines. There are paid washers downstairs, but they are smaller than the laundromat and don't accommodate things like blankets or coats. I think they would wash everything else.
Let's brainstorm some possible alternatives to the Do-it-all-in-one-morning Method, shall we?
- Wash at a different time of the day. (Wednesday mornings are pretty slow at the laundromat).
- Load the vehicle with the laundry the day before; it would have to be TuesDAY though, because I go to a Knitting Circle on Tuesday evenings.
- Split the washing into two different days, double the laundromat time, but cut the folding time.
- Buy a folding stool to take with me for folding... they got rid of their stools because someone was standing on one and fell recently. My feet miss having a place to rest while folding.
- Wash at the apartment, probably every other day. More costly, and have to be home for several hours, running up and down a flight of stairs to the laundry room.
- Pay to have the laundry done! (Ha! Ha! Ho! Ho! That one IS funny!)
- Rent a portable washing machine, buy a wooden drying rack. Wash EVERYday, with the machine moving to the kitchen sink (much like the original dishwashers).
- Bribe the kids to behave better on Laundry day, but I really think this is MY problem, not theirs. If I could / would chill out about it, we could, maybe even HAVE FUN doing the laundry Marathon Fashion.
- Dress up, like fancy, so that it doesn't feel like so much drudgery work.
- Be glad I have washing machines, and I'm not washing in a stream / from a pump... wait a minute, that's not a solution for me now is it!? I guess I'm out of ideas.
I look forward to hearing your ideas / encouragement / suggestions!