Sunday, April 27, 2008

House Binder

While I was comparison shopping to set the sale price of my Arizona home, I was in a home that had a 3-ring binder with all the pertinent house info. Receipts, swatches, instructions, etc. I thought "that's a great idea!" So, yesterday I got myself a 540-sheet, 3-ring binder for the new house. I also got some tabbed dividers that have pockets in them and my big-ol'-box of sheet protectors.

Now. I have to decide how to organize my Handy-Dandy-Household-Binder!

(Yes, these are the kinds of things I think about - a lot!)

I think these topics are set:
  1. Financing
  2. Taxes
  3. Insurance
  4. Utilities
  5. Receipts
Now. How to sort the rest of it? By Area or by Item? I made potential lists for each method of sorting, and came up with seven sections each:

Area
  1. Kitchen / Dining Room
  2. Living Room
  3. Bathrooms
  4. Bedrooms
  5. Utility Rooms
  6. Garage
  7. Yard
Items
  1. Appliances
  2. Entertainment System
  3. Yard
  4. Floors
  5. Walls
  6. Electricity
  7. Plumbing
So. What do you think? How would you organize your Home Filing System?

How DO you organize your Home Data?
  • In a binder?
  • In an expanding folder?
  • In file folders?
  • At each appliance/item/area?
  • In the trash?
Inquiring minds (like mine) want to know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an expanding file folder for taxes and recipe box for receipts I feel the need to keep, another expanding file folder with tabs for son info, daughter info, vet info for pets, medical info, etc.
I keep these right by the front door in the washroom in case of an emergency....
I HAD a cool spiral journal that I stapled appliance records in but now we use a folder in a file cabinet.