Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Little Test

I took this little test today because I continue to be intrigued by something...

Your Linguistic Profile:

65% General American English

15% Upper Midwestern

10% Yankee

5% Dixie

0% Midwestern


Apparently, even though I've never lived in the Midwest, the fact that my Grandparents came from Indiana and Michigan has effected the way I speak. I did notice though that there was no "Southwestern" or "Californian" dialect, and since I lived in Arizona for 23 years, and California for 8, I do suspect I speak more of those languages than mid-west.

Just interesting how where your family comes from affects your words. Does anyone else "red up the table"? What about musk-mellon? Is it the same for you as a cantalop? Those are two terms I've always used that have people going "huh?!" Especially the "redding up" thing... anyone know what that means (or at least, do you know what I'm referring to when I say it?

One other thing... how come my Linguistic Profile doesn't add up to 100%? Am I missing something???

No comments: